Results tagged ‘ padres ’
Former TinCaps 3B James Darnell was promoted to Triple-A Tucson just in time to go to the Futures Game, then come to Parkview Field. He tells us about his rebound season and his favorite Fort Wayne memories.
Former Tincaps RHP Brad Brach says he’s pumped to come back to Parkview Field as a member of the Tucson Padres.
The TinCaps got beat by Dayton, 9-1, but RHP Zach Cates had things to say about his development in his first season pitching professionally.
Robert Lara stops by for a conversation before making his return to the TinCaps (as a pitcher). Fort Wayne beats Dayton, 8-2.
Newly-added TinCaps RHP Dennis O’Grady tells us what “acting Stannerly” means, and the TinCaps take the series finale from West Michigan.
American patriot and TinCaps 1B Wes Cunningham professes his love for the USA and the TinCaps fall short on Independence Day.
The TinCaps come back and Emmanuel Quiles smacks a game-winning single in front of a sellout crowd.
TinCaps 2B Chris Bisson educates us about Canada Day and makes a shocking admission about his musical taste. Independence Day conversation with Wes Cunningham coming soon!
The TinCaps hit two homers in the first inning on their way to a blowout win at Lake County.
I’m not saying this to pile on, but the TinCaps were a disaster coming into yesterday. They’d been swept in three games at home by Lake County. The bullpen was in shambles with the starting pitchers not getting through four innings in back-to-back games, then having a 13-inning game where they blew a 6-1 lead (with five errors in the late innings) and had to bring a position player (Tyler Stubblefield) in to pitch near the end. The bullpen had been working two men short in the first place (thanks to a six-man starting rotation and the promotion of Andrew Werner). One of their best hitters (Jake Blackwood) was promoted yesterday. Their projected starting pitcher (Noah Mull) came down sick and couldn’t pitch (Matt Jackson filled in – he was on five days’ rest and even HE was sick). To top it off, two guys forgot their jerseys in Fort Wayne (no shirts-and-skins action for you sickos out there; they just wore different numbers). There was no realistic reason to expect anything to improve on Monday, especially after an error allowed Lake County to take an early lead and Jackson got smoked in the ankle by a smash back to the mound.
But then, something crazy happened: Jackson stayed in, fought through the sore ankle and gave the team six strong innings. The Captains walked nine and made four errors and the TinCaps got a few big hits to blow it open, 10-1.
Lesson: Don’t ever, under any circumstances, try to predict baseball. Ever. For any reason. Whatsoever.
- Former TinCaps LHP Josh Spence is getting the pub from back home in Australia after making his MLB debut.
- Hey, remember the 2009 TinCaps? They’re still annihilating the Double-A Texas League. It’s been three months worth of The Ultimate Warrior freaking out and beating up everyone. NINE league all-stars. Also in that article: INF Cory Spangenberg (10th overall pick in this year’s draft) and Donavan Tate could soon be headed here.
- The Dodgers filed for bankruptcy and, in doing so, revealed Vin Scully’s salary. I don’t really see what the big deal is; Scully could name his price but clearly hasn’t abused that fact. Unlike his team’s owner, who has abused just about every privilege of owning a team. Sell to Mark Cuban and get it over with.
- Tigers pitcher Al Albuquerque: He’s good. When he was in the Cubs organization and I was in Daytona, we couldn’t wait to get him promoted to our team just because we wanted to say “Al Albuquerque” on a semi-nightly basis. Never happened. One of the great disappointments of my career so far.
- Since we’re at Lake County, I got to come home to my parents’ house last night. Our black lab had paw surgery and he’s the most pathetic thing I’ve ever seen. They made him wear a plastic cone on his head so he won’t chew the bandage off the paw. Well, he doesn’t quite have the maneuverability thing down with the cone. He runs into EVERYTHING when he tries to move around. Last night he went into the bathroom and accidentally shut the door on himself when he was trying to get out, then didn’t understand that he had to back up to give me room to open the door and let him out. He is completely miserable, San Diego.
- I also got to sit outside on the porch last night and just relax. Beautiful weather, it was quiet… it was delightful.