Something to talk about
It’s OK if you’re skeptical of this story, because I would be too. But I promise it’s entirely true.
night while eating dinner at a downtown restaurant, I overheard a
conversation from the next table… Nondescript local guy said, “Bang
for your buck, you won’t get a better deal in town than the TinCaps.” He
went on to tell his whole table about watching a game from a concourse suite and how much fun it was.
apparently our CIA-style plan of placing undercover marketing staffers
in local restaurants to pass along not-so-subliminal word-of-mouth
publicity is working. Next time you go out with “a group of friends” and the new guy is singing praises about Parkview Field, you’ll know what’s up.
I’m kidding, of course… Or am I?
- Former TinCaps happenings from yesterday’s Padre game: RHP Mat Latos was wild again (but feels OK), LHP Colt Hynes pitched 1.1 scoreless frames in relief, RHP Matt Lollis gave up a couple of runs in his only inning. Also, RHP Heath Bell made his Spring Training debut and felt good.
- Backup catcher candidate Gregg Zaun is hanging ‘em up.
- Former Fort Wayne 3B Chase Headley is working to get better. Best quote in the article comes when he’s asked about his critics: “I’m not concerned with outside opinions.” This is a rampant thing in sports coverage and it’s completely overblown: the “expectations” card. Any
competitor worth a darn has higher expectations for himself than anyone, so anyone else’s expectations are more or less irrelevant. If I ever write that story or ask an expectations-related question
during an interview, you have my permission to furiously send an e-mail
that says, “Dude, you’re not living up to my expectations!”
- Another story about Cameron Maybin (who is coming back from concussion symptoms after running into a pole during batting practice) and how the Padres’ leadoff hitters struggled last year. I can’t get over the .306 OBP… that’s bad.
- The Padres’ bullpen coach is fighting hard against pancreatic cancer.
- With the Padres’ potential new Triple-A ballpark in suburban San Diego in limbo, the ownership group is looking at its options, including selling.
- Former Fort Wayne RHP Jake Peavy’s recovery from his freak injury is profiled.
- Former Fort Wayne RHP Dirk Hayhurst is now with the Rays and had to assure them his writing career is harmless.
- Rockies OF (and Midwest League alum) Carlos Gonzalez hit the bejeesus out of a ball on Sunday. The article doesn’t say it directly, but it was a double.
- Another MWL alum, Dodgers INF Dee Gordon, won Baseball America‘s Winter Player of the Year award.
- The players’ union met with the World Umpires’ Union to hash some things out.
- Fighting amongst teammates isn’t as rare as we might think, and a lot of times the team ends up winning.
- Some prospects might be ready to contribute in the big leagues this year, including Indians 3B Lonnie Chisenhall and LHP Drew Pomeranz. Nationals OF Bryce Harper probably isn’t ready yet, but he made a nice play in the field.
- The Phillies have some injury issues with 2B Chase Utley and OF prospect Domonic Brown, who was struggling mechanically at the plate.
- Royals SS Alcides Escobar, a big piece of the Zack Greinke trade, can’t catch a break.
- I grew up listening to Cavaliers radio guy Joe Tait… he’s a character. I’m biased, but I think Ohio teams have some of the best radio people in the business with Tait, Tom Hamilton of the Indians, Marty Brennaman with the Reds (this episode notwithstanding) and Paul Keels with Ohio State.
- Another great one, Cubs radio guy Pat Hughes is going to be part of writing a book about Ron Santo.
- I don’t know if it makes the shows any better, but three pretty good bands touring via old-school railroad cars sounds like fun.
- This is what happens when baseball dorks get ahold of Photoshop.
- This is what happens when one of the best sports writers around wants to make a point.
- This is what happens when you invite the TinCaps to a throwback charity event and encourage costumes: old-school rappers. Like Kris Kross.
Musical guest… Old Crow Medicine Show!