Same as it ever was
Today I drove to work with the windows down. The snow is melted off the grass on the field. It’s a good day.
Also, someone sent me this video. I literally clapped after watching it. Another reaffirmation of the fact that dogs rule. And if you don’t agree, we’re not friends anymore. Lord knows Mark Buehrle agrees with me.
- A well-placed source told me last night that former TinCaps 1B Cody Decker “runs trivia night” at an establishment in his hometown of Santa Monica. The source didn’t specify if that means Decker is the emcee for the trivia or if he is an unstoppable trivia competitor, but neither would surprise me.
- Another well-placed source told me there’s no word yet on who will serve as the TinCaps’ strength coach this year. Two factors are probably in play here: 1.) Mark Brennan (who was here for parts of the last two years) took a job with the Marlins, a loss as crippling as LeBron leaving the Cavaliers. It has obviously left the Padres reeling and searching for answers. 2.) Apparently word has gotten out that any strength coach who comes to Fort Wayne will be humiliated in the weight room on a daily basis by the radio guy, a phenomenon which we saw on full display last year when Rick SantaBarbara left the team in shame to “go back to school.” He must be pursuing a master’s degree in bicep curls.
- Question: Who are 3B Chase Headley, C Nick Hundley and OF Will Venable? Answer: Three Fort Wayne alums who want to take leadership roles for the Padres this year. Jeopardy.
- Trevor Hoffman is at Padres’ camp helping out on the coaching side.
- Padres RHP Chad Qualls was playing through injury most of last season and now he’s trying to work his way back in San Diego. Great pickup, especially for the price.
- Highlights from the S.D. Union-Tribune weekly Padres chat: The timing of the Adrian Gonzalez trade looks even better now that Albert Pujols could be a free agent after the season, advice for fans going to Peoria for spring training and how players are paid when they split the season between the minors and the major leagues.
- Aroldis Chapman got a tattoo with “105.1 MPH” on it. As in the speed of his hardest fastball last year. This may be the surest sign yet that he’s adapting to life in the United States – they use the metric system in Cuba, don’t they? In that case, the tattoo would say “169.1 km/h”. Just doesn’t have the same effect.
- Aubrey Huff’s rally thong has been retired… for now.
- The Yankees are interested in Kevin Millwood, but don’t want to overpay. Uh, what? They’re counting on any combination of A.J. Burnett, Ivan Nova, Sergio Mitre, Big Fat Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia and they’re worried about overpaying for Kevin Millwood, the definition of a buy-low player? In the words of Albert Pujols, come on, man.
- Joba Chamberlain has put on some pounds this off-season. If there’s any sport where fat guys can succeed, it’s baseball.
- Mitch Albom says Miguel Cabrera gets no excuse after his latest trouble. Well, of course he doesn’t, but he obviously needs help and burying him doesn’t improve anything.
- Cleveland baseball fans are front runners, but I think that’s only half the explanation for the Indians-Browns double standard. When a baseball team is struggling, there are 81 home games, many of which are excruciating. When a football team stinks, there are only eight home games and there’s tailgating. It’s apples and oranges.
- Carlos Santana is already being considered the franchise. Looks like he’s going to be treated like Victor Martinez, splitting time between catching, first base and DH.
- Former Padre Gary Sheffield announced yesterday that he’s retiring. He hasn’t played since 2009 and nobody is interested in signing him – is this really an occasion for an announcement, other than to get people to ask the Hall of Fame question? Answer: No. To all of that.
- Tom Petty. Earth, Wind & Fire. The Cure. John Mellencamp. The Beatles. None of these bands are playing in Fort Wayne this weekend, but local bands are covering them, and that’s good enough for me.
Musical guest… The Talking Heads! (Fair warning: this video is weird. But the music is good.)
Have a great weekend!