The Number 49
The MLBlogosphere rankings are out for October. Somehow, this trash heap of a blog went from No. 50 to No. 49! If my calculations are correct, I should hit the top spot sometime around Christmas 2014. So we all have that to look forward to.
Some facts about the number 49:
- Alaska was the 49th state admitted to the union. We purchased the land from Russia for $7.2 million, or about half of what the Mets are expected to pay Gary Matthews, Jr. to take batting practice next season.
- The San Francisco 49ers are five-point favorites against the Rams this week. The 49ers lost to the Panthers two weeks ago. The Rams beat the Panthers 20-10 last week. If gambling is legal where you live, don’t say I never did anything for you.
- There was a movie called “Ladder 49″ where Joaquin Phoenix plays a firefighter whose life flashes before his eyes when disaster strikes at the scene of a fire. Joaquin Phoenix went on to make the most awkward Dave Letterman appearance of all time not involving Richard Simmons or Julia Roberts. He’s not as weird now, apparently.
- The square root of 49 is 7.
- This is pretty much everything I know about the number 49.
- Former TinCaps outfielder Wande Olabisi was featured in a story by legendary author Ben Hill. You know how some minor-league baseball players substitute teach or give hitting lessons in the off-season? Wande is into designing medical apparatuses which can be used in third-world countries. As a side job, of course.
- Our old pal “The Big Dog” Hayden Beard is on the Canberra Cavalry’s roster in the Australian Baseball League. He hasn’t pitched yet, but I can only imagine his first appearance will have all the pageantry of John Rocker, Rick “Wild Thing” Vaughn, Trevor Hoffman, Mariano Rivera, Ric Flair and a Neil Diamond concert all rolled into one.
- Here’s more about Australian baseball.
- I listened to a Bill Simmons podcast with Buster Olney today. Buster thinks the Rangers will be really active this off-season. He even mentioned a potential Zack Greinke-for-Elvis Andrus trade with the Royals if they don’t re-sign Cliff Lee, which would be huge for both teams.
- Simmons also threw out a scenario of a Cavs-Heat first-round playoff matchup. The world might explode Death Star-style if that were to happen.
- In another blockbuster deal, I traded Dwayne Bowe to Tony DesPlaines for LeGarrette Blount in the office fantasy football league.
- Last night my volleyball team beat the other TinCaps’ staff team in both games we played. You’re darn right I tried to hammer one right into Allan Wertheimer‘s face every time I got the chance.
- Fact: If you didn’t get outside to enjoy the incredible weather this week, you’re not allowed to complain about the bad weather in January.
- Fact: “Great Migrations” on the National Geographic Channel is the best new show on TV.
- Fact: The Country Music Awards should be renamed the Pop Music with Twang Awards (although Zac Brown Band winning new artist of the year makes the concert at Parkview Field look like a nice move, no?). George Strait, Alan Jackson or Josh Turner is the male country vocalist of the year every year until they retire or die. Same for Brooks & Dunn as duo of the year. Kenny Chesney doesn’t qualify since he made the decision almost a decade ago to make all his songs about summer, partying or some other cash cow (like that new high-school football song). And don’t act like you’re above country music.
- Dave Hutte status update: “For all the veterans out there. Thank you.” Agreed.
Musical guest, Ray Charles!
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!